Beer bread has become one of my favorite recipes in the past couple months, and it’s my second favorite way of consuming beer. (1. Drinking it, 2. Eating it in bread, 3. Eating it in cheese.) It’s such an easy recipe and the beer lends this quick bread a really wonderful hoppy bite. It wasn’t long before I discovered that the slightly sweet addition of brown sugar is a great complement. It all started with an impulse purchase of Lagunitas Brown Shugga’ beer. I loved the festive name and label, as well as the promise of a sweet finish. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite what I expected so I figured if I’m not going to drink it, why don’t I eat it? And it’s called “Brown Shugga” so why don’t I add brown sugar?!?! Thus, brown sugar beer bread was born. It’s wonderful shortly out of the oven when it’s warm, but it’s just fine with me toasted or warmed in the microwave in the following days. It’s a hoppy, slightly sweet dense bread with a somewhat crunchy exterior. Definitely a winter guilty pleasure–although I’m on a healthy, whole foods kick, I wanted to share this recipe because it’s just so easy to make and very appropriate comfort food for the cold months. (Um, try it with chili and you’ll never be cold again.)
Just a note: you don’t have to use this particular beer. You can use what you have on hand. It comes together in less than 10 minutes (and it’s especially easy using a standing mixer though it’s certainly not required.)
Recipe after the jump!
Brown Sugar Beer Bread
Makes 1 loaf
3 cups of flour (all-purpose or half all-purpose/half wheat)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 12-oz bottle or can of beer (like Lagunitas)
6 tablespoons of butter or margarine (I’ve used both butter and Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar together in a bowl.
- Add the beer and mix it until just combined to form a sticky dough.
- Spoon mounds of dough into a buttered or oiled bread pan. No need to even it out.
- Melt the 6 tablespoons of butter and mix with 3 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Pour the melted butter and brown sugar mixture over the dough. (For a little extra treat, sprinkle a little more brown sugar over the top.)
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Once it’s baked, remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Take out of the pan, slice, and enjoy it while it’s warm!